What can/can't Warhol do?
“What can and can't Warhol do?”
Warhol has a lot of features but is very young project and as such, there is also a lot that it can't do at the moment. Some of the missing features are on our roadmap while others are definitely out of scope.
Warhol can … #
- Verify that an entire web page uses only colors and typography that are defined in a pattern library by inspecting CSS properties and values.
- Collect data from multi-page pattern libraries and even iframes.
- Ensure that component implementations closely follow example components in a pattern library through a process that compares the styles of elements on a web page with their definitions in a pattern library.
- Offer you a top-notch debugging experience with its developer tools
Warhol can not (yet) … #
- Read your mind. That is to say, that it can only compare what's in a web page library with what's in a pattern library, but can't really think for itself.
- Collect data from Photoshop files, PowerPoint slides or images.
- Offer varying levels of style-checking-strictness for components, but this feature will probably come at some point
- Perform tests for you, though we are working on that.
- Work outside of Chrome, though we are working on that.
- Verify interactive styles like
:hoverstates or interactive components. This is a problem that we have solved, but the related features require more polish before we can release them.
- Provide you with charts and stats, though we are working on that.
- Provide an API, yet.
- Exclude specific elements from tests, but this feature will probably soon be implemented.
- Support non-standard pseudo elements like
::-webkit-slider-thumb, though this will probably change at some point.
- Handle DOM mutations that happen during test runs. This will simply lead to wrong results today, be will someday be supported.
- Run tests for iframes.
- Test the inside of SVGs.
- Support source maps for CSS.
- Enforce CSS best practices that are not defined by your pattern library. This is out of scope for Warhol.
- Validate HTML or check code quality. This is out of scope for Warhol.
- Test accessibility. This is out of scope for Warhol.
- Rate your SEO efforts. This is out of scope for Warhol.
- Find dead links. This is out of scope for Warhol.
See also #
- Our public roadmap with detailed explanations of future features